Year Of Admission:
- 083 400 1620
- Administrative law
- Company law, contract law
- General commercial
- Labour law
- Local government
- Shipping law
Brief curriculum vitae:
Henno Viljoen was admitted as an advocate and joined the Bar in 2000 after having served articles at a Johannesburg attorneys’ firm. He completed the degrees of B.Iuris (cum laude) and LL.B at the former Potchefstroom University.
A portion of his LL.B degree was completed at the Vrije Universiteit in Amsterdam, the Netherlands. There he participated in a study conducted for the European Union on the legal status of technical standards in Dutch law.
Principal reported cases:
- Strauss & another v Plessey (Pty) Ltd (2002) 23 ILJ 175 (LC) – concerning the unfair retrenchment of employees;
- Nokeng Tsa Taemane Local Municipality & another v Metsweding District Municipality & others (2003) 24 ILJ 2179 (LC) – concerning the transfer of a municipal function of one municipality to another and the impact thereof upon certain employees of the transferee municipality;
- Choice Decisions v MEC, Department of Development, Planning and Local Government, Gauteng, and another 2003 (6) SA 280 (W) – concerning the authority of an official of a provincial government to bind that provincial government contractually;
- Furniture, Bedding & Upholstery Industry Bargaining Council, Greater North Region v Acraft Investments (Pty) Ltd (2008) 29 ILJ 939 (T) – concerning the transfer of a business from one legal entity to another and the impact of that transfer upon the contracts of employment of certain employees;
- Firstrand Bank Ltd t/a First National Bank v Seyffert and another and three similar cases 2010 (6) SA 429 (GSJ) – concerning the cancellation of debt review in terms of the National Credit Act, 2005;
- Johannesburg City Parks v Toli NO (2012) 33 ILJ 1456 (LC) – concerning circumstances influencing compensation in cases of unfair dismissal;
- Siemens Telecommunications (Pty) Ltd v Datagenics (Pty) Ltd 2013 (1) SA 65 (GNP) – concerning the obligation of a plaintiff company to provide security for costs in terms of the 2008 Companies Act.
- Xakaza v Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality  8 BLLR 731 (LC) – concerning the Protected Disclosures Act
B.Iuris (cum laude)(NWU)
LL.B (NWU and Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam)
Commissioner of the Small Claims Court